Thursday 24 March 2016

WIP - traditional blocks made modern!

I've been having fun making some colourful blocks!  I'll be giving a workshop in June on traditional blocks made modern and I've been designing up a storm, working out dimensions, playing with colour and having great fun shopping for solids!  As its my first workshop I might just be over preparing but I have to say I am really enjoying the exploration of it all.


It may have seemed a little quiet here on the blog and getting the time to comment on my favourite bloggers posts.  It's been a busy time of it, some stressful with health blips popping up in the family and the dog!  Some not so stressful with lots of workshops and guild work.   I'm on the committee of our local branch now so getting more involved in guild work and continuing to admin the Modern Quilters Ireland group.  But I have been making and sewing throughout and  reading lots of blog posts on my iPad even if I don't get to comment on them all! 

Lots of people have written about finding that balance between making, blogging, other social media, family and the day job and there are times when it can seem too much but I love blogging and I love making so I'll keep trying to find a way to share as much as I can.  At the moment, trying to post once a week seems to work and after June I really look forward to be able to share some of the finished quilts I hope this round of designing will result in! And then maybe get back to the other 30+ projects on my to do list!
This is my first block, my modern take on the economy block.  I've made this one in solids but think it might just be the thing to showcase some of my dog fabric.

The centre square is 5.5" finished and it could be fun to strategically cut some cute doggy faces into this square and frame with some dog bones!  I have worked up a version to use a charm squares too so am trying to decide which size to make and be consistent!  Decisions, decisions....

I've also had fun playing with colour for a very simple offset log cabin construction.
So far I have 3 blocks made for this which will be set into this Kona Mango.  Orange might not be to everyone's taste but I love the idea of using it for a background colour and am enjoying trying it out!
 This is where I've gotten to this week!
 
And there will be lots more on the way so I hope you'll stick with me over the next few weeks!
Using Playcrafts palette builder to choose fabrics!
If anyone is interested in pattern testing a block or one of the patterns I'll be working on over the coming weeks I'd love to hear from you.  In the meantime I have photos from the free motion quilting workshop with Tomomi of Slaney handcraft  to share with you yet and hope to have some finished quilts done and dusted soon too!  Need your advice first on one though - any ideas what colour to use as binding for this Charm Pack Cherry quilt?  Am totally stumped!
Made with Noteworthy and Moda bella naturals charm packs
And because I haven't linked up in a while linking to

15 comments:

  1. We seem to have much in common this year with family illness and dogs. Fingers crossed our bad run is coming to an end. I do like your modern economy block, from the colour choice to the design you've nailed it. The offset log cabins are good too. You appear to have a grey in your cherry quilt, I think I would go with that. It's a neutral, and going with one of the colours (if you have any) I don't think will work.
    Linking up from My Quilt Infatuation (but I get your posts with Bloglovin anyway)
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors you picked for the off set log cabins are gorgeous! This is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about a white binding so that the squares look like they are floating? Always happy to pattern test if you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on balance. I hope that everything settles into a new groove for you and that everyone's health improves. These block explorations look like a fun way to relax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your modern traditional blocks are beautiful in the pastel solids! But I agree, they would be fun with some fussy cut centers, too. For the binding, I thought that pink from the quilt would be fun, but a gray would work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those blocks look amazing. Can't wait to see the doggy version... Where will you be doing the workshop? I would go with that dark pink for the binding, just because I like contrast... Unless you think it'll look too girly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of the economy block. Wow! I'd love to test one of your patterns or blocks if you're still looking for help. And I agree that it's often hard to find the balance between sewing and blog related stuff. I wish I had the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a whirlwind of happenings Ruth! Congratulations on your workshop! Your blocks are winners for sure and I wish I could fly out and take your class. The doggy fabrics will make an adorable block too. I hope all the health troubles have settled down by now and everyone is okay again.

    I have a very hard time balancing life, sewing, and blogging too. I have a list of 30+ projects on my to do list too Ruth. I hate to miss out on what friends are doing but I don't sew nearly often enough.

    For your very pretty Charm Pack Cherry quilt... how about doing the binding in cream, like some of the pieces are in the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being busy is nice but don't over do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can be hard to balance it all for sure! I wouldn't mind to test for you, and I also hope to be able to come to the workshop in June, especially now I've seen what it will look like. Looking forward to meeting you anyway :-) As for binding the soft coloured quilt, I think any of the soft colours from the quilt, or even a different but similarly soft colour would be good. I am not a fan of white bindings, but that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be hard to balance it all for sure! I wouldn't mind to test for you, and I also hope to be able to come to the workshop in June, especially now I've seen what it will look like. Looking forward to meeting you anyway :-) As for binding the soft coloured quilt, I think any of the soft colours from the quilt, or even a different but similarly soft colour would be good. I am not a fan of white bindings, but that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck finding balance with all your responsibilities. Your modernized blocks look great! As for the binding, I would use whatever you want to emphasize. You could use the blue, pink, or green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Balance eh? Something I strive for and have dismally lacked these last few weeks ... although hopping from one thing to another has really been that productive either! Hope you find your happy place in amongst everything that you have on. I realise this post is now a few days old but if you are still needing pattern testers then I would love to help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you about finding that balance, and then some months there is so much on that none of it happens. The fact that I am reading your posts so late might give you a clue as to how unbalanced my world is right now! :)
    If I had more time, I would offer to pattern test a few blocks for you. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...