Thursday 19 March 2015

Catching up!

Hope all enjoyed the St Patrick’s day celebrations and monuments all around the world going green for the day. I love that bit!

It’s my mum’s wedding anniversary on that day and as Dad is no longer with us we like to make a big fuss of mum on the day. (Couldn’t get married during lent back in the 1960’s but everyone knows St. Patrick’s day is a day off from lent right? ) So very little sewing done this week. I’m late with my WIP Wednesday post, so I’m thinking of this as a To Do Thursday post instead!

I did get my Make modern quilt finished on time so really happy with that and looking forward to sharing with you for the May edition of the magazine.

Now that the deadlines are done and dusted, I am hoping to work on swaps, book reviews and finishing some long languishing WIP’s!

I joined 2 swaps on Instagram, #spdfairytaleswap and the #nerdscraftitbetterswap.  For some reason Big Huge labs was acting up and didn't give me url info to credit the infividual images.  They are compiled from searches on Flickr and Pinterest!

Anything mythological and fantastical with a bit of the underdog winning through brains and co-operation is right up my alley. I have a fondness for Hans Christian Anderson as his stories always have an element of kindness to them.  Little Red Riding Hood seems to be the most popular and it really is hard to resist the Brother's Grimm for evil villains!
For the nerdy swap I geeked out on Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Doctor Who and Buffy!  After missing the Make a Dalek, make a Friend swap I was delighted to see this one on Instagram in time to join.

Both swaps require a mini quilt or similar sized item, a smaller handmade item and some goodies.  A mosaic image of likes to help your partner and 3 work in progress photos are needed to abide my swap rules.  Nerds has a post date of 1st May for Internatinal and FairyTale June 29th.  Thinking cap is well and truly on!  Might have to try making a Sew together bag yet as one of my items!


Also on the To Do list is a book review I promised a friend.  I'm reviewing A Quilters Mixology by Angela Pingle and decided to make some lanterns from her book only I'm not making a bed quilt.  I'm hoping to make a sewing machine cover!  Using EQ7 I've resized Angela's designs from the book from 16" to give me a small medium and large lantern.  Imagine this folded in half with the pink on one side and the purple and yellow on the other.   It's all curves and drunkards path and looks like fun though I suspect lots of pins will be needed!

Of course I got carried away with playing with the curved shapes then in EQ7.  It's kind of addictive when you get going! Not sure what this is going to turn into. 

Lastly but not leastly, I am hoping to play catch up with all the blog posts I've missed while my nose was firmly to the sewing machine face plate!

I love reading what everyone has been up to and though you can't sew and read at the same time it's important to me to make time for both!  Apologies to those comments I've been late replying to!  How about you guys - are you having a To Do Thursday too?  

8 comments:

  1. Wow, love that Indiana Jones quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo! Congrats on meeting your Make Modern deadline!
    I just can't get over how busy you are Ruth! My head would be spinning!
    i love that you do a special St. Patty's Day for your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If liking all the stuff in your mosaic makes someone a nerd, then I am well and truly a nerd ... but I already knew that. (Except Buffy, I have never seen that. I suspect I would like it if I had.)
    The sewing machine cover plan sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's birthday is in March and funnily enough along with St Patrick's Day apparently that is a day off too :)

    Glad to hear that you have finally surfaced from under all those deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your lanterns; they'll make a pretty sewing machine cover. Never mind the pins. I just made my first two Drunkard's Path blocks ever on a machine WITHOUT PINS! using Leanne's excellent tutorial: http://www.shecanquilt.ca/2011/12/sewing-curves-is-not-hard-seriously.html.
    I couldn't believe how easy this was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fairytale swap looks like it's going to be lots of fun! An old parish priest used to tell us that you could have every Sunday 'off Lent' as otherwise it wasn't forty days...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...