Wednesday 7 May 2014

WIP Wednesday: Bee Blocks & Binding

Happy May!  We've just had a bank holiday for May day (astronomically and traditionally the start of summer, though weather wise not one bit!)  May is the month I get to be Queen Bee for Stash Bee Hive #10 and Global Scrap Bee.  

These are the blocks I chose.  The flower block is called Spring Blossom from Charise Creates Vintage Sew-A-Long.  She has the most beautiful blocks on her web page and featured this flower block on Sew Mama Sew where she shared the template and tutorial.  For global scrap Bee, the block I chose for this month is Clover & Violet's Low Volume Scrappy Star.  I love how this block looks.


For Stash Bee, you have to make the block from the tutorial showing how you did it step by step and point out any areas of difficulty or any changes you want to make along the way.  If you want to see how I made this one, the post is at Stash Bee Hive#10.  Stash Bee runs from January to November and opens to new members every year if you interested in joining a Bee!

Global Scrap Bee is the first Bee I joined and it came from Plum and June's summer blog hop for new quilt bloggers last year.  It is a scrappy Bee so we are making blocks from our scraps and little bits of Stash.  To make the scrappy Star you need a solid or print that reads as solid for the centre and a mixture of prints to make the 4 squares and 8 rectangles.  It's a very scrap friendly block!


Laying them out to play what goes best where is fun and even in a Greek cross shape this would be a cool block to make.


Happy with this layout, I chain pieced the squares on the rectangles to make the star points.  4 going from left to right and 4 from right to left!


 Love this block.  It is really quick to piece!  Just join the rectangles to make star points.


 Then in rows.


Finally rows together.


And voila, one scrappy Star block!


Isn't she pretty?


So that's my Bee duties for May for these 2 done and dusted.  Back to other WIP's now like binding!

I'm nearly finished my Bachelors Walk quilt and am hoping to enter it into the Irish Patchwork Society's exhibition titled Explorations.  My quilting isn't great yet and I have pleats to fix in some of the straight line quilting areas but nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

I haven't invested in wonder clips yet for holding down the binding.  At the moment I'm using 2 packets of hair clips. 2 sides hand sewn down, 2 more to go.  Then a label and a hanging sleeve. I'll get there eventually!
Linking up to


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Sew Fresh Quilts

14 comments:

  1. so pretty that star!! I want to drop everything and go make it. I plan to follow your tutorial and make one today, instead of cleaning and organizing, heh, heh.
    LeeAnna Paylor Not Afraid of Color! lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeeAnna, if you follow the link throught to Clover & Violet's page they have a tute up showing all the cutting and sizes needed - one in Christmas fabrics! Love their scrappy stars!

      Delete
  2. I am loving all the low-volume projects that have popped up almost overnight. This one is no exception, I love to see yellows! It's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting way to do the points! I have to say a star is my favorite style of blocks. Just something about a star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what your bee-mates send you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your scrappy star block! And your Spring Blossom block is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blocks! Good luck with IPS exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your blocks are beautiful. I'm not much of a fan of yellow but sometimes it says, "Pick me!" And this block is one of those times! I also like the pastels/low volume fabrics in your star block. Very pretty and restful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, and I love the pictures in progress. Love the gray and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely blocks! The scrappy star is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fab blocks. Good luck in the quilt show, and good on you for giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous job on the tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing that! And your Spring Blossom? Great job! I love curved piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your scrappy background for this block! I am visiting (and started following your blog) from the new blogger's group :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Hi, my name is Jill and I am a low-volumaholic." This scrappy star is so very pretty. Thanks for posting the instructions/pictures because this one is going in my mental 'MAKE" pile.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...