Monday 25 November 2013

Partial seams


Well it turns out that partial seams are not that hard (Anne you were right!)  I was quite surprised that once I got the order worked out my table runner went together quite quickly!

I ended up with partial seams in an effort to simplify my design and make cutting and piecing more efficient.   I combined where possible squares into rectangles. This left me with a bit of a puzzle in terms of assembly. The centre section of my table runner would have 5 pieces to sew together with some meeting only partially and not a straight line across. After staring at it for a while (about the time it takes to drink 1 1/2 cups of tea and dunk 2 rich tea biscuits) I figured just plunge in and start with the lone rectangle.
 

 I sewed it on 2/3rds of the way and this gave me a nice straight edge to add the left piece.

Then I could sew the long piece# 3 to the bottom edge of these two.
And then add on piece number 4 on the right to the resulting straight edge of (1+2)+3.
 Finally then I was able to close the first seam left partially sewn right across the added pieces to finish it off.

It's a little on the small size now it's all pieced (about the size of the ironing board or coffee table sized). I hope my swap partner will be happy with it when it's done. I'm happy so far and have learned quite a bit doing this both from the design and assembly stages. Now I have to give it a good pressing, go buy backing fabric and figure how to quilt it!






4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you're brave :) It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lucky lucky partner of yours!!! absolutely fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I knew you'd master it super fast! :D The final runner looks gorgeous! Fantastic job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how "small" this is, it is absolutely gorgeous! Your partner will love it and if not .. I do!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...